Auto Loan Calculator
The Auto Loan Calculator helps you analyze auto loans. How much can you afford to borrow for how long at what interest rate?*
- Enter ballpark values by dragging the sliders left or right.
- Enter exact numbers by clicking in the box and type your number (no commas).
- Solve for different variables by clicking on the radio button in front of a label name. You cannot change values if the radio button is selected. The results of your calculations show in the box near the bottom of the calculator.
- Click on tabs for details and for more options.
Loan Calculator Tab
The Loan Calculator Tab allows you to enter basic information used to calculate your loan.
- Loan Amount
- Select this button to figure out the biggest loan you can afford given the interest rate, the loan duration and the monthly payment you can afford.
- Loan Period
- Select this button to figure out how long your debt will last. You would typically solve for the loan period to figure out how an increased monthly payment might reduce the loan term.
- Annual Rate
- Select this button to figure out what happens to the interest rate when you change other loan variables.
- Monthly Payment
- Select this button to figure out what affects the monthly payment.
- Total Interest Paid
- This amount reflects all the interest you have to pay over the life of the loan.
- The content of the results box changes depending upon which variable you have selected and upon the amounts you enter in the other variables.
Payment Schedule Tab
The Payment Schedule Tab shows the amortization schedule for the chosen loan. Each row shows a payment number, the interest, the principal and the balance of the loan at that payment number.
Payment Chart Tab
The Payment Chart Tab shows an area graph with payment values and the distribution of interest, principal and extra principal (if any). Mouse over the graph and move to a payment number to get a readout of interest, principal and extra principal for any one loan period.
The pie chart shows you the cumulative distribution of interest, principal and extra payments (if any) at the end of your loan.
- Extra Principal
- Extra Principal is an amount you include with your payment to be used explicitly for paying down the principal, not the interest. The faster you pay down your principal, the shorter your loan will be and the less total interest you have to pay.
*Calculators provided are estimation tools and do not necessarily reflect products, terms or rates that Home Federal Bank may offer. Please contact your Home Federal banker to verify results.